What You Need To Know About The Emergency Rental Assistance Program

March 23, 2021

Relief is on the way for LA’s renters and landlords.

Applications open next Tuesday, March 30, for the second round of the city’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). Here’s what you need to know about who is eligible, how to apply, and how it works.

Eligible households must: 
 
• Live in the City of LA
• Have experienced unemployment, lost income, or other financial hardship due to COVID-19
• Make 50% or below the Area Median Income ($56,300 for a family of four, $39,450 for an individual)

Angelenos can apply in two ways:
 
•  Renters can apply directly
•  Landlords may apply on behalf of their tenants
 
If a landlord applies on behalf of a tenant, the tenant will be notified to complete the application to determine if they meet the eligibility requirements.

If you as a tenant qualify for assistance, your landlord will get paid 80% of your rent debt, so long as they forgive the remaining 20%.
 
If landlords refuse this deal, tenants will receive 25% of their rent debt directly, which qualifies them for state eviction protections.

If you applied for the city’s 2020 rental assistance program but didn’t receive help, you can update your application *right now* at hcidla.lacity.org.
 
Otherwise, you can apply online starting next Tuesday, March 30th, at 8 am.

For those lacking internet access, you’ll be able to apply by phone and submit documents at one of 16 FamilySource Centers across the city. We’ll be working to ensure these options are available to all. 
 
For a list of FamilySource centers, visit bit.ly/familysourcela.